Import Registrants (Contacts/Prospects)
The Lasso Registrant Import is a feature that allows you to import registrants from multiple data sources into your project database using a single import template. This is useful if you are setting up your new project on Lasso and have existing contacts that you would like to include in the database, or you have acquired a list from another source and would like to add them to your project.
Before you proceed, it’s important to review your data to make sure it can be accommodated in the database. For example, if your data contains answers to questions such as “How did you hear about us?” or “What’s your price range?”, questions and answers that match the data in your file need to be set up in Lasso prior to import. Questions and answers are set up in the Client Admin Center by a Lasso Administrator with Question Center permissions.
Important points to note:
- The required format for importing data into Lasso is a flat file, i.e. each row contains one unique contact record with all data associated to that record in a single row.
- Associated data for each unique record should include only the data that is to be imported into Lasso, i.e. only desired data.
- Email addresses in the registrant import file cannot match sales rep email addresses set up in Lasso.
To Download the Registrant Import Template:
1 – Click into the Sales Center .
2 – Click Registrants and select Import.
3 – Click on Template Builder.
4 – A list of fields will be displayed. Click on the box to the right of Select All or go through the list checking the columns you will need in your template.
Remember: Make sure all the fields you will need to import have been set up in Lasso prior to downloading the template. If you find that you have information that doesn’t correspond to any of the column headings, additional questions and answers will need to be set up in the Question Center to accommodate your data. Once the questions and answers have been added, re-download the import template as you will need the newly generated column headings.
5 – In the boxes to the left of Phone, Email, and Address, click on the dropdowns and select the maximum number of fields you will need for each. For example, you may want to have business phone number, home number, and cell number fields available so you’d select 3 in the dropdown for Phone. Or, if one Registrant in your existing data has 4 email addresses while others have only 1, you will still need to set the number of email addresses to 4.
Note: Import a maximum of 5 for each of Phone, Email, or Address.
6 – Click on Download Template when you’ve completed the dropdown fields.
7 – This will load the template to an Excel CSV (Comma Separated Value) file. Open it and save it to your computer, keeping the CSV format. You will see all the fields you selected as column headings in Row 1.
Note: If you wish, you can remove columns you don’t need but do not edit any of the column headings as the system will not be able to read them if changed.
8 – Beginning in Row 2, copy or enter your data into the appropriate cells for each record. If data is not entered into a cell in the file, the field in Lasso will remain blank.
Important to note:
- The columns entitled First Name, Last Name, and Source Type are required fields and must be completed. If there is no data in these fields for any of the records, when the file is loaded, the data for that row will not load into the project database.
- If your data does not contain Source Types, enter Import into the Source Type column. For more information on Source Types, see About Source Types under the Administration Center folder located in the Help Center.
- For most of the available fields in the template, data that you enter into your file that is not already added to Lasso will automatically populate the field dropdowns in the system. For instance, if your file contains a Rating of “Hot” and this has not been added to your project database, “Hot” will appear as a selection in the dropdown for Rating once the template has been imported. This also means that if your file contains data that maps with existing Lasso items but it is does not exactly match those Lasso items, including uppercase, lowercase, spaces, hyphens, dashes, etc., additional items will be created. For example, “Walk In” is one of the defaults for Source Type in Lasso. If “walk-in” (hyphen and no caps) is entered into the import file, it will be added to the Source Type categories in Lasso, i.e. the dropdown will list “walk-in” as well as “Walk In” under Source Type.
- For the Questions and Answers, Contact Preference, Assign to Sales Rep, and Tenant columns, data contained in the file that has not already been added to Lasso will not be imported. Again, the data must match Lasso items exactly, including uppercase, lowercase, spaces, hyphens, dashes, etc. For example, if on the answers added to the How Heard question in Lasso is "Drive-by" and your file contains answers of "driveby", those answers will not be imported unless you change the answers in your file to match the answers in Lasso.
- If there are any questions which have multiple answers, separate the answers in each cell in the template with a delimiter of “A:”. For example, for the question “How did you hear about us”, if the Registrants were able to select more than one answer, and one of the Registrant’s responses was Signage, Website, and Newspaper, the data in the appropriate cell in the template would look like this: A:SignageA:WebsiteA:Newspaper.
- For the Email, Phone and Address fields, there is an associated Type field. For the Email and Address fields, Type can be completed with Primary, Secondary, or Tertiary. For the Phone field, Type can be specified as Work, Home, Cell, Fax, Pager, or whatever is needed here. If Type is not filled in, it will populate the database as the field name followed by a number, e.g. Phone1.
- The registrants being imported will automatically be assigned to the user who is logged into Lasso during the import process unless the Assign To Sale Rep column is completed. Any names entered into this column must be set up as Sales Reps in Lasso prior to import or they will not be assigned. (Please refer to About Users for more information on setting up Users in the system.)
- Assign To Sales Rep names must match the Lasso setup exactly, e.g. spelling, lower case/upper case, spaces, dashes, etc. To assign multiple reps, separate each with a comma, no space, e.g. John Smith,Jane Green. If the Sales Rep name does not match Lasso OR there is no Sales Rep, the Registrant will be assigned to the logged-in User that is doing the import. The Registrant will not be unassigned in Lasso.
- Use Secondary Source to identify and generate the list once it has been imported into Lasso. For example, let's say you are importing a list on Oct 15 from Golf Digest. Populate the Secondary Source Type column in the file with "Golf Digest Oct 15". Once the file has been imported, go to My Custom Lists, select "Golf Digest Oct 15" as the Secondary Source, and generate the custom list. This allows you to market to only those Registrants in the imported list.
9 – When the import template is complete, save it as an Excel CSV file on your computer.
To Import the Completed Template:
1 – Click into the Sales Center .
2 – With your mouse, hover over Registrant among the menu items at the top of your screen and click on Registrant Import from the dropdown menu.
3 – In Import File field, browse for your completed Registrant import file and select it.
4 – The Request Opt-In allows you to send an email requesting the Registrant to opt in to receiving future emails. The default is set to Don't Send Opt-In but you may choose to send a request to their Primary Email or All Emails if desired.
5 – Beside Allow Duplicate Emails, select Yes. This means that if there is more than one record containing the same email address, all records will still be imported. If No is selected, the system will import only the first record. There could be different Registrants with the same email address (e.g. husband and wife) so it’s recommended to select Yes and manage duplicates after the import.
6 – Beside Ignore Sales Processes, select Yes or No. If you have existing Sales Processes set up in the system, you may not want these processes triggered by the data in your import file. For example, if you have a Sales Process where a Rating of B is the trigger to send an email, and you have set No for Ignore Sales Processes, Sales Reps will be assigned activities to send email to all Registrants with a B Rating in the import file. If you set Yes for this option, the Sales Processes that are in place will not be triggered.
7 – Click on the Import icon in the third row from the top.
8 – Once the import process is initiated, the system will indicate that:
- The import is in progress and you will receive an email notification in your Lasso Inbox when it’s complete;
- You have errors in your file and you will need to fix them in the template and re-import.
9 – When the import is complete, you will receive an email notification in your Lasso Inbox indicating the amount of time the import has taken, and an attachment will be included with the email if there are any errors in the data. If errors exist, open the error file, complete the fixes as indicated, and import the new file.
The Registrant Import page will show you the progress of your file. If you wish to cancel the import while it is Running, click Cancel.
Once the file has been imported, you will no longer be able to cancel it and it will show as Complete.
Note: To verify that all the Registrants and data from your file were imported correctly, generate a custom list Using an identifier such as Secondary Source (as noted above in Step 8 - Important to note) or Registrant Created Date and compare it to the original import file. If there are errors, you can delete the imported list of Registrants and re-import. If you delete the registrants, ensure that you are deleting only those you imported.