Sales Center - Import Registrants (Contacts/Leads/Prospects)
In this article:
- About Importing Registrants (Contacts/Leads/Prospects)
- Download Template
- Import Completed Template
The Lasso Registrant Import allows you to import registrants from multiple data sources into your project database using a single import template. This is useful if you are setting up your new project on Lasso and have existing contacts that you would like to include in the database, or you have acquired a list from another source and would like to add them to your project. You will need to download the Lasso registrant import template, populate it with your data, and then import into the Sales Center.
Before you proceed, it’s important to review your data to make sure it can be accommodated in the database. For example, if your data contains answers to questions such as “How did you hear about us?” or “What’s your price range?”, questions and answers that match the data in your file need to be set up in Lasso prior to import. Questions and answers are set up in the Client Admin Center by a Lasso Administrator with Question Center permissions.
Please read the following before proceeding:
- The required format for importing data into Lasso is a flat file, i.e. each row contains one unique contact record with all data associated to that record in a single row.
- Email addresses in the registrant import file cannot match Lasso user email addresses.
- For the Email, Phone and Address fields, there is an associated Type field. For the Email and Address fields, Type can be completed with Primary, Secondary, or Tertiary. For the Phone field, Type can be specified as Work, Home, Cell, Fax, Pager, or whatever is needed here. If Type is not filled in, it will populate the database as the field name followed by a number, e.g. Phone1.
- The columns entitled First Name, Last Name, and Source Type are required fields and must be completed. If your data does not contain Source Types, enter 'Import' into the Source Type column.
- For many of the columns in the template, data that you enter into your file will automatically populate the field dropdowns in the system. For instance, if your file contains a rating of “Hot” and this has not been added to your project database, “Hot” will appear as a selection in the dropdown for rating once the template has been imported. This also means that if your file contains data that maps with existing Lasso items but it does not exactly match those Lasso items, including uppercase, lowercase, spaces, hyphens, dashes, etc., additional items will be created. For example, “Walk In” is one of the defaults for source type in Lasso. If “walk-in” (hyphen and no caps) is entered into the import file, it will be added to the source type categories in Lasso, i.e. the dropdown will list “walk-in” as well as “Walk In” under Source Type.
- Questions and answers must be added to Lasso prior to import.
- For the Questions, Contact Preference, and Assign to Sales Rep columns, data that does not match answers, contact preferences, or sales reps that have not already been added to Lasso will not be imported. The data must match Lasso items exactly, including uppercase, lowercase, spaces, hyphens, dashes, etc. For example, if on the answers added to the How Heard question in Lasso is "Drive-by" and your file contains answers of "driveby", those answers will not be imported unless you change the answers in your file to match the answers in Lasso.
- If there are any questions which have multiple answers, separate the answers in each cell in the template with a delimiter of “A:”. For example, for the question “How did you hear about us”, if the Registrants were able to select more than one answer, and one of the Registrant’s responses was Signage, Website, and Newspaper, the data in the appropriate cell in the template would look like this: A:SignageA:WebsiteA:Newspaper.
- The registrants being imported will automatically be assigned to the user who is logged into Lasso during the import process unless the Assign To Sale Rep column is completed. Any names entered into this column must be set up as sales reps in Lasso prior to import or they will not be assigned as indicated in the column.
- Assign To Sales Rep names must match the Lasso setup exactly, e.g. spelling, lower case/upper case, spaces, dashes, etc. To assign multiple reps, separate each with a comma, no space, e.g. John Smith,Jane Green.
- Once the import is complete, you will receive an email notification in Lasso's Mail Center. It will contain a file called Unprocessed Registrants. This file will only contain registrants if the import stalls. The email may also contain a file called Invalid Registrants. You will receive this file if:
- There are errors in your file. The Registrant Errors column will display the error.
- You selected to disallow email duplicates. If this option is selected and there is an email in the import file that matches an email already in the database, Lasso will not import the record. The message in the Registrant Errors column will display "There is no active transaction."
Note: The volume of data in your file may cause the process to stall. It is recommended that import files contain no more than 10,000 records, and less if there are several columns containing answers to questions.
1 – In the Sales Center, click Registrants and select Import.
3 – Click on Template Builder.
4 – A list of fields will be displayed. Click on the box to the right of Select All or go through the list checking the columns you will need in your template.
5 – In the boxes to the left of Phone, Email, and Address, click on the dropdowns and select the maximum number of fields you will need for each. For example, you may want to have business phone number, home number, and cell number fields available so you’d select 3 in the dropdown for Phone. Or, if one Registrant in your existing data has 4 email addresses while others have only 1, you will still need to set the number of email addresses to 4.
Note: Import a maximum of 5 for each of Phone, Email, or Address.
6 – Click on Download Template when you’ve completed the dropdown fields.
7 – This will load the template to an Excel CSV (Comma Separated Value) file. Open it and save it to your computer, keeping the CSV format. You will see all the fields you selected as column headings in Row 1.
Note: If you wish, you can remove columns you don’t need but do not edit any of the column headings as the system will not be able to read them if changed.
8 – Beginning in Row 2, copy or enter your data into the appropriate cells for each record. If data is not entered into a cell in the file, the field in Lasso will remain blank.
9 – When the import template is complete, save it as an Excel CSV file on your computer.
Once the template is completed, it can be imported into Lasso.
1 – In the Sales Center, click Registrants and select Import.
2 – In Import File field, browse for your completed registrant import file and select it.
3 – The Request Opt-In allows you to send an email requesting the Registrant to opt in to receiving future emails. The default is set to Don't Send Opt-In but you may choose to send a request to their Primary Email or All Emails if desired.
4 – Beside Allow Duplicate Emails, select Yes. This means that if there is more than one record containing the same email address, all records will still be imported. If No is selected, the system will import only the first record. There could be different Registrants with the same email address (e.g. husband and wife) so it’s recommended to select Yes and manage duplicates after the import.
Note: If you select No, the email notification you receive in Lasso's Mail Center when the import is complete will contain an Invalid Registrants file. For those registrants who did not get imported due to duplicate email, the Registrant Errors column will display the message: "There is no active transaction."
5 – Beside Ignore Sales Processes, select Yes or No. If you have sales processes set up in the system, you may not want these processes triggered by the data in your import file. For example, if you have a sales process where a rating of A is the trigger to send an email, and you have set No for Ignore Sales Processes, sales reps will be assigned activities to send email to all registrants with an A rating in the import file. If you set Yes for this option, the sales processes that are in place will not be triggered.
6 – Click on the Import icon in the third row from the top.
7 – Once the import process is initiated, the system will indicate that:
- The import is in progress and you will receive an email notification in your Lasso Inbox when it’s complete;
- You have errors in your file and you will need to fix them in the template and re-import.
8 – When the import is complete, you will receive an email notification in your Lasso Inbox indicating the amount of time the import has taken, and an attachment will be included with the email if there are any errors in the data. If errors exist, open the error file, complete the fixes as indicated, and import the new file.
The Registrant Import page will show you the progress of your file. If you wish to cancel the import while it is Running, click Cancel.
Once the file has been imported, you will no longer be able to cancel it and it will show as Complete.