About Greater Vancouver Regional District (GVRD) Non-Resident Property Transfer Tax
Effective August 2, 2016, foreign entities purchasing residential property in the Greater Vancouver Regional District (GVRD) must pay 15% property transfer tax in addition to the general property transfer tax. The additional tax applies on all applicable transfers registered with the Land Title Office on or after August 2, 2016, regardless of when the contract of purchase and sale was entered into.
- Foreign entities are transferees that are foreign nationals, foreign corporations or taxable trustees.
- Foreign nationals are transferees who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents, including stateless persons.
- Foreign corporations are transferees that are corporations:
- not incorporated in Canada, or
- incorporated in Canada, but controlled in whole or in part by a foreign national or other foreign corporation, unless the shares of the corporation are listed on a Canadian stock exchange Taxable trustees are trustees that are a foreign national or foreign corporation, or a beneficiary of a trust that is a foreign national or foreign corporation
The GVRD includes Anmore, Belcarra, Bowen Island, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Delta, Langley City and Township, Lion’s Bay, Maple Ridge, New Westminster, North Vancouver City and District, Pitt Meadows, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Richmond, Surrey, Vancouver, West Vancouver, White Rock and Electoral Area A. The additional tax does not apply to properties located on Tsawwassen First Nation lands.
For more information, please refer to the Ministry of Finance Tax Information Sheet.