Use Zapier to Connect Contact Us Form/Registration Page With Lasso
In this article:
- About connecting a contact us form/registration page to Lasso via Zapier
- What do I need to get started?
- When to use the Lasso Pro API vs the included Lasso API?
- How does Zapier look for a match in the database using the Lasso Pro API?
- How are questions and answers handled in Lasso if a match is found using the Lasso Pro API?
- Connect contact us form/registration page to Zapier
- Connect Zapier to Lasso
Connecting a contact us form/registration page to Lasso can be done using Webhooks by Zapier. and Lasso's API. The Zapier function allows you to easily set up a webhook that will submit data from your contact us form (registration page) to your Lasso database via a 2-step process called a Zap. A Zap combines a Trigger and an Action that automates a task for a user. In the case of a contact us form/registration page, the Trigger is the registrant signup online and the Action is the submission of the registrant’s data to Lasso.
Setting up a webhook in Zapier requires access to the API in Lasso. To connect your registration page to Lasso via Zapier, you will need to first create the connection between Zapier and your form and then create the connection between Zapier and Lasso.
To create the connection between Zapier and Lasso, you will need to access Lasso's API.
There are two versions of the API - the included version that is provided at no cost to you (Lasso API) and the add-on version for which there is a monthly fee (Lasso Pro API):
- Lasso API - The Lasso API key allows you to connect your contact us form/registration page with Lasso and submit registrations.
- Lasso Pro API - The Lasso Pro API key not only allows submissions to Lasso via your contact us form/registration page but also will append existing data in Lasso if it finds a match already in the database.
The included Lasso API Key can be found in the Project Admin Center under View Registration Page Code. If you want to use the Lasso Pro API, please contact your Lasso Client Director for the Lasso Pro API Key.
With the Lasso Pro API, data in Lasso can be appended if a registrant already exists in the database. Let's say a prospect signs up online and then comes back to the website a few months later and signs up again. With the included version of Lasso API, the prospect's second registration will result in a duplicate registrant in Lasso. Using the Lasso Pro API, you are able to set up the Zapier connection to first search for a match between the new submission and existing registrants in Lasso. If a match is found, the data being submitted will update the registrant's profile in Lasso rather than creating a duplicate registrant.
Whether the Zap finds a match is dependent on the data that is being passed into Lasso. It searches for either:
- First name, last name, and email
- First name, last name, and phone
- First name, last name, email, and phone
IF the data that is passed into Lasso contains email AND phone (e.g. required on the contact form), the registrant in Lasso must have BOTH email and phone to match.
IF the registrant in Lasso has only phone and the data being passed in has both email AND phone, it will not count as a match.
IF the registrant in Lasso has only email and the data being passed in has email AND phone, it will not count as a match.
There are some important points to note with how questions and answers are updated via the Zapier connection to Lasso if there is a match to an existing registrant upon submission from a contact us form/registration page:
- If there is a question and/or answer that is on the contact us form/registration page and submitted by the registrant but the question and/or answer does not exist in Lasso, the question and/or answer will be added to the registrant's profile as well as added to Lasso's Question Center in Client Admin.
- If a registrant submits a new answer to an existing single-answer question, the new answer will overwrite the existing answer in the registrant profile.
- If a registrant submits a new answer to an existing multiple-answer question, the new answer will be added to the existing answer in the registrant profile.
- If a registrant does not submit an answer to a question on the contact us form/registration page and has an existing answer in their registrant profile, that answer will remain in the profile.
Before you start:
- If you want to update existing registrants as well as add new registrants via your contact us form/registration page, you will need to contact your Lasso Client Director to obtain the Lasso Pro API key. The included Lasso API key will allow you to add new registrants only.
- Please ensure that first name and last name are separate fields on your form. This simplifies mapping the fields from the form to Lasso’s separate First Name and Last Name fields.
1 – Click Make a Zap!
2 – Give your Zap a name.
3 – Under Built-in Apps, select Webhooks.
4 – Select Catch Hook.
5 – Click Save + Continue.
6 – You will be provided with a webhook URL. This URL is where you will deliver your data. Click Copy.
7 – Go to your form source code and place the copied link after the following code:
<form method=”post” id=”LassoSignupForm” action=
It should look as below:
8 – Go to the form and submit a test registrant. You should receive a message confirming that the data was successfully submitted.
9 – Go back to the Zapier page containing the webhook URL and click Ok, I did this.
10 – You should see that your submission went to Zapier, indicated as a Hook. Click the hook’s dropdown arrow to view the details.
11 – If the hook looks correct according to your submission, click Continue.
12 – Next, you will need to connect the webhook to Lasso. Click + Add a Step.
13 – Click Action/Search.
14 – Start to type Lasso into the Search bar and select the most recent version from the list that appears.
15 – Select Update or Create Registrant or Create Registrant.
- Update or Create Registrant – Search Lasso for a matching first and last name plus email, or phone, or email and phone (depending on form submission). If there is a match, the existing profile will be updated. If there is no match, a new registrant will be added.
Note: The Lasso Pro API is needed for this option.
- Create Registrant – A new registrant will be added.
16 – Click Save + Continue.
17 – If you are using the included Lasso API, go to Lasso’s Project Admin Center in another browser window, click View Registration Page Code, and copy the Lasso API Key. If you are using the Lasso Pro API, please contact your Client Director for the Lasso Pro API Key, if you haven’t done so already.
Lasso Project Admin Center access to Lasso API Key
18 – In Zapier, click Connect an Account.
19 – A page will appear asking if you want to allow Zapier to access your LassoCRM account. Enter the Lasso project name under Name of the project and paste the API Key into the Api Key box.
20 – Click Yes, Continue.
21 – The connection will now be displayed. Select it and click Save + Continue.
22 – Next, you will set up a template, mapping fields from your form with Lasso fields based on your hook. Begin by selecting First Name and Last Name. These should be separate fields on your form to easily map them to the First Name and Last Name fields in Lasso.
23 – In the same manner, add contact fields such as Email, Phone, etc. to your template. Continue to scroll down the template and select the desired fields.
24 – In the Rotation field, select a sales rep for automatic assignment of online registrants. The assigned sales rep will get a signup notification, providing the opportunity to immediately reach out to the registrant.
25 – In the Thank You Email by Id field, enter the Thank You Email Template ID that will automatically send an auto reply to a registrant who signs up online. (The template ID can be found in the browser address when the template is selected in Lasso.)
26 – Add Question and Answers as set up in Lasso if desired, e.g. How did you hear about us?
Note: Adding answers manually will add them to the answer options in the Question Center of Lasso.
27 – To track the traffic to your website, enter the Website Tracking Domain ID and Website Tracking GUID in the appropriate fields.
28 – When you are satisfied with your entries, click Continue.
29 – Scroll through the test data and click Send Test to LassoCRM.
30 – You should get a message saying that the Test was successful! Click Finish.
31 – Congratulations! You should now have successfully connected your form to Lasso via Webhooks by Zapier. Turn your Zap on!